Saturday, November 29, 2008

love and marriage, love and marrige, they go together like....

So my mother 'sneakily' tried to leave this USA today article on my bed before I came down for the holidays so I could 'stumble' upon it. The article is entitled 'Young People: average age of getting married for women is 26 and men is 28'. (By clicking you too can read this enlightening piece of work). Well of course I read the damn article- which may I just say didn't hold a compelling argument for either getting married older or younger. Basically, in my mind, it flip flopped and said some people get married young others get married older -really you don't say?
I don't know how much I can believe in all the hype about getting married older. They draw comparisons to when our parents got married which was typically when they were around 20. Well obviously! Most women didn't go to college- so their main purpose was to get married and start a family. Now of course, most people do go to college- they finish at age 22 (ish ha!) Then a lot go onto grad school, med school, get their masters, etc.
I am a firm believer that if people grow and learn in love together then that is how people will know they are ready for marriage. If couples have been through hard times and made it through and learned from the situation. If people want to get married at 18, that is fine (my parents did and are together happily after almost 40 years!) My parents met when they were 10- dated throughout most of high school then got married right before my dad went into the army. My parents are each others best friends, which I think is also essential for a relationship. You have be able to be open and honest with each other just like any friendship you have in life.

0 comments:

shabby cheek